THIS COURSE IS APPROVED FOR 1 MMC POINT or 2 EPP HOURS (and 1 CMC point)
Everyone has unconscious biases. They live in the recesses of the human psyche, aware to some, but not to others. These biases are developed over time in each individual and can greatly influence the day-to-day decisions that are made both at home and at work. We will define conscious and unconscious bias, how it works, related triggers and their impact on the community. We will describe Three Types of effects: Halo, Horns, and Contrast effect and eight types of bias: Affinity, Confirmation, Beauty, Height, Conformity, Gender, Name, Age Bias. This course will show the effects that these biases have on the culture and business practices of your municipality. Awareness is the first step to change. Personal change toward bias-free interactions will help make the world a better place.
- Define various types of unconscious biases.
- Identify where these biases come from and how they are engrained in our decision making.
- Successfully confront unconscious bias individually.
- Identify the effects of unconscious biases in the workplace.
- Exhibit how to implement an unconscious bias-based training in the workplace.
- Identify the steps for handling an unconscious bias-based complaint at work.